Welcome to Wasatch Business Valuation & Litigation Support Services, LLC
Wasatch Business Valuation & Litigation Support Services, LLC is a Sandy, Utah firm founded in 2010. The core services are business valuation and consulting/expert services. These latter services are commonly called or referred to as "litigation support".
We constructively assist business owners, investors and legal counsel in a variety of ways. We assist prospective business owners and investors interested in pricing a small established business --a broker situation--and also legal counsel with negotiating price and terms of these small established businesses.
We assist evaluating various exit strategies; these can range from an outright or installment sale, MBO, establishment and funding of a family limited partnership (FLP) to an ESOP. Our relationship with Brown Gibbons Lang & Co., www.bglco.com, a FINRA licensed middle market investment bank enables us to assist middle market companies interested in acquiring overseas or U.S. companies (a buy-side engagement), selling a controlling interest to a strategic or financial entity (a sell-side engagement), raise capital ($10M+), recapitalize or restructure operations.
Where options are issued as compensation or the company envisions using options, issues will arise regarding the fair market value of the same and tax consequence, see IRC sec. 409A (updated guidance is coming in late June 2013), and financial and tax reporting purposes, see ASC 718. Sometime goodwill is impaired and that results in an expensing or a urchase price allocation is needed by the auditor, see ASC 805, we have done these too and can prepare the reports.
Whether you are a seasoned professional or a new business owner, we can also assist establishing a value for the business in connection with buyout or buy-sell agreement. Clearly, if there is litigation, we can assist as a consulting expert valuing the business and testify in court and/or provide testimony in an alternate dispute setting.
So, what is so unique about Wasatch Business Valuation & Litigation Support Services, LLC? We think the above is a good start, but also our background is unique. We have investment banking, valuation and legal experience; the legal experience included business formation, transitions to family and non-family/investors, estate and gift, Ch 7, 11, and 13 bankruptcy, ERISA, and IRS tax controversy work.
Second, our civil and criminal litigation experience enables us to anticipate likely issues and be proactive. While we are not admitted to practice law in UT, we can certainly share our views on matters ranging from 1) the wisdom of having a witness in teh case serve as an "expert" (by definition, an "expert" is neutral and having a witness or party to the case serve as an expert, whicle not barred by UT, is in our opinion, not realistic or a good option; judges do not tend to see witness' or a arty in a suit, as an impartial expert) to 2) opining on the theory of the case (this may entail asking counsel hard questions and if hey are open, advising counsel regarding what is occurring in other jurisdictions ... just for consideration.)
Third, our U.S. and international network are unmatched. This is another key diffirentiator. If you are seeking to buy or sell a business, our business intelligene and business analytics will enable you (if you are a buyer/investor) to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the company and if you are a seller, we can identify the issues and give you an overall assessment of the quality of your marketing, sales, and staff. (The illustration above illustrates what one can do with BA and data; case involves an analysis of the website and marketing efforts and suggestions to the company).
Fourth, we understand economics, statistics, econometrics, and damages cases; if you are an attorney, we can help you prepare the case and or assist you as a consulting expert.
Finally, we understand the importance of big data and can blend big data with internal data to produce some great views regarding the market and strategy undertaken and make constructive suggestions. The result of business analytics --when properly done--is and provide you with hard facts that will enable you to strategize based on facts --not conjecture--and current market conditions. http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/business_technology/big_data_the_next_frontier_for_innovation These same tools enable us to provide business owners and Boards with feedback tat is ACTIONABLE regarding the quality of the SEO and marketing department. (These are tools that very few Private Equity and VC firms have adopted ... but are on their way!)
Amongst the competition, Wasatch Business Valuation is simply highly qualified and unique. Call us and schedule and appointment!
Wasatch Business Valuation & Litigation Support Services, LLC.
9980 South 300 West
Sandy, UT 84070
Tel: 801 953 3675
Fax: 801 285 7401
For more information ... just call!
The Blend of Legal and Investment Banking Experience Enables Wasatch Business Valuation & Litigation Support Services, LLC to Provide Comprehensive and Thoughtful Advice, Strategic Planning, and Corp
As for the services provided, these range from basic to comprehensive and include:
Business Valuations and Calculations Reports
- Business Calculation Reports (ideal for small businesses)
- 409A Valuations (fair market value of stock options granted/deferred compensation and issuance at fair market value)
- ASC 718 (financial statement and reporting)
- Valuation Engagements leading to a Conclusion of Value (Summary and Detailed Valuation Reports, starting at $2,500).
- Second Opinion of Business Valuation Reports (Starting at $450)
- Law Firm Valuation
- Medical Practice Valuation
- Buy-in/Buyout Calculation and Valuations (are you a Professional Services organization or a professional-- doctor, attorney, accountant, engineer?Are you thinking of buying in? Offering an employee a buy-in? Buying a professional practice? Is your partnership, S-corp or LLC thinking about executing or amending a buy-sell? Call us to assist ... because litigation is not a cost effective or good solution.)
- Estate and Gift Valuation (we are "qualified appraisers" as defined by the Internal Revenue Code) and can assist preparing Conclusions of Value to attach to Forms 706 and 709.
- SBA Valuation (7a Loan Program)
- Valuation of Intangible Assets (Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks and intangible assets (brands) .
- Pricing your business. (Cash flows, risk assessments, and investor returns determine what a business should sell for. We provide an impartial estimate based on cash flows that is fair to buyers and sellers. This is more complex where seller financing is needed to close the deal. We provide you and your counsel consulting services.)
Pricing a (target) business. (Is the asking price fair based on the cash flows? Where seller financing is needed to close the gap, what are fair terms to the buyer and seller? We can assist you and your counsel in the negotiation stage.) See Article Below (Buying or Selling a Business?)
Litigation Support Services: Consulting and Expert Witness Service
- Matrimonial Litigation Valuations (assessing the value of a business interest and separating what is personal from professional goodwill!)
- Shareholder/Partnership Disputes/Litigation (consulting and expert witness service regarding the value of a business interest or countering what the majority says the interest is worth.)
- Business Interruption and General Damages Calculations (an understanding of statics and econometric methodologies, as well as the various variables that will be considered in a recommendation/analysis or eventual report is critical to win or counter claims. We can help.)
- IP Damages Calculations (A quantitative and sensible approach is also taken here. Most firms do not have a Google, Samsung or Apple budget, but they can prepare a case.)
- Breach of Contract Damage (Again, quantitative and well-documented approach is necessary here, as well as a sensible approach.)
Turnaround and Chapter 11 Valuation (A valuation is essential here. A solvency opinion may also be needed ... we can assist.)
Transactional Consulting Services (Perhaps your firm is interested in recapitalizing, evaluating an MBO, ESOP, a sell-side engagement or buy-side engagement. Contact us, our network of PE, VC, and strategic buyers is very good.)
Exit Planing and Other Professional Services provided include:
- Business Analytics
- Business Plan prepartion/review
Sales, Merger and Transition of Law and Accounting Practices - Valuing the Practice and advising re: the unique issues associated with law firm acquisition, mergers, and sales/Exit.
Term Sheet Analysis (start-ups) (4 hrs. @ $325)
Decision Tree Analysis (used to estimate the value of a case or an offer assuming on eor more contingencies)
Business Intelligence (BI) Analysis
Advanced Corporate Finance Quantitative Analysis (pricing, logistics, and market dispersion and penetration modeling), and
Balanced Scorecard/KPI Services
EB-5 Business Plan Preparations and Reviews
EB-5 Review and Assessment of Regional Center Investment Options and Management
Coordinate with Legal Counsel handling EB-5 Green Card Application
If you are visitng the website for the first time or returning to the website, visit our Blog--which includes timely articles, issues, and opinions--, download one or more "Quick Reference Guides", Court Cases, Newsletters, or follow the links pertinent to business valuation, litigation support, and middle market investment banking.
If you have suggestions, let us know, better yet call! If you like what you see ask interview us, refer us, and also click the Google+1 icon (to recommend the website ... those clicks help moving us up).
A Sampling of what we think about and do ... for a living!
This PPoint captures why UT attorneys should consider retaining a consulting expert at the very early stages of a potential engagement. Wasatch Business Valuation & Litigation Support Services, LLC provides just this service!
Damages Intro Benefits of the Consulting
Adobe Acrobat Document [173.5 KB]
Brief Guide for Business Owners and/or Prospective Buyers of a Business (and their counsel or CPA)
We are agnostic in terms of the services provided. Pricing a small business is difficult and it requires that the Seller remain flexible and negotiate terms. We can provide an impartial assessment of what the business may sell for based on cash flow analysis. Likewise, if you are a prospective Buyer, an informed opinion will likely save you both money and aggravation. What follows is a quick guide on a service we introduced this past December (2012) that is a must (in our humble opinion) for Buyers and Sellers and counsel.
Let us know what you think! or if you have questions.
Pricing a Small Business.pdf
Adobe Acrobat Document [333.6 KB]
The pdf contains some thoughts regarding the purchase and sell of small business (typically an asset acquisitions where an element of "goodwill" is involved.) Many of these businesses are liste by business brokers --we are not business brokers--and the views shared are based on experience and also from non-UT business brokers. We hope this information is helpful.
Buying or Selling a Business.pdf
Adobe Acrobat Document [337.0 KB]